Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Communication Interpretations




There are three forms of communication that were used as an example to communicate a request from a team member. They were email, voicemail, and face to face (F2F).

Jane is Marks team member and needs data that Mark has to complete her portion of the task. We were given all three modalities of Jane communicating with Mark for the needed Data.

If I could ONLY pick one modality it would be email. The reasons are that it is quick, succinct, and documents the request. But, if I could use multiple modalities I would start with the F2F because it is more personal and I could guarantee fewer hard feelings than with just an email and then follow up with the needed documentation of an email.




One factor I find with email is the interpretation of the reader. Depending on the mood, character, and current situation of the reader there can be many different interpretations of the email. If the reader was depressed and felt everyone was pushing him, he might read the email and be very hurt and frustrated from the pressure.

F2F there are many gestures, facial expressions, voice tone, and body language that goes along with words. Depending on the type of person you may be dealing with this might be the best form of communication. Because there is team there are many personalities. Personalities can build or destroy a team. Being cautious of how you communicate because there can be implications.

I have not thought about communicating with a team before. I personally use a weekly email to each referral source on their clients. I have found that this keeps the emails and phone calls to a minimum. The reason behind this was that I had a manager that constantly questioned me on statuses and I would have to take so much time researching to get the answers that it would take extra time.

Now thinking of how can I communicate with me team? First I would have a F2F with the group and then individually to get to know them personally but professionally. Then I would implement a weekly email to each team member and see how things are going for them. I'm afraid I might open a flood gate of whining and complaints. But, it may be good and weed out the weak, encourage the timid, and promote the strong.


Reference

Multimedia Program: "The Art of Effective Communication"

6 comments:

  1. John
    Good post! I agree with you that email is a great way to document all conversations. Unfortunately, many people are unable to write well and an email could send the wrong message. Of course some people are awful F2F, so each person has to find what works best for them and the other person. Have you ever told other people you work with the best way to send you a message or do you let them figure it out on their own? Sometime I think we should all be very clear to those we work with by letting them know what works best for us. What are your thoughts?

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    Every workspace has a type of communication that works best for them. The important part of the communication is the way it is happening. I found useful the guidelines presented by Dr. Stolovich to be used in important communication. It involves to state the purpose, present possible solutions, sign off, specify how do you want the response and keep your tone friendly and respectful. I feel that this could help us all to start developing strategies to effectively communicate to a group. Thanks for sharing.

    Laureate Education. (Producer). (2010). Communicating with Stakeholders. [Online]. Retrieved from Walden University eCollege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello John,

    I also picked e-mail has my choice of communication for this request for some of the same reasons that you mentioned. What I also like about this modality of communication is that the conversation is documented. In our course video, Dr. Stolovitch noted that documenting communication is one of the two most important things to do when communicating with clients (Laureate Education, 2010). I like that you took the personal approach by starting with F2F but then documenting afterwards, great idea. I also like how you plan to communicate with your own team. I never thought to do the status update via e-mail. Why would you not do it in person? What do you think are the benefits and disadvantages to communicating via e-mail?

    Laureate Education. (Producer). (2010). Communicating with Stakeholders. [Online]. Retrieved from Walden University eCollege.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John,
    You are right, email can be short, concise and get the message across quickly as long as the person is not reading into any emotions behind it. When I read the email from Jane I though she got her message across but sounded a little desperate.
    I like your idea about starting with F2F communication with the team and building the rapport first, then moving to email. As a teacher we email all the time and are able to keep the complaints to a minimum. It seems like more of the complaints come out when we are at f2F meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would choose email if I only had one to choose. It is easier and faster. Also the data that is being requested would be sent in an email so it would be easier to use an email
    Plus as you mentioned there are a lot of downfalls to using email. Like with texting you can't tell the tone in someones voice so you may not get the message as it was intended. I have also found that people who you can have a full intelligent conversation with can be lacking in their writing skills.

    I really like your idea about the weekly email. I feel this would have helped with the issues Catherine was having with Dan. You also pointed out some problems you may have with people complaining, but I feel it would do more good then harm.

    Reference

    Multimedia Program: "The Art of Effective Communication"

    ReplyDelete